View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
jginnane
Base Member

Drives: 09Z Pearl 7AT, 09 TL
jginnane is on a distinguished road

[quote=baboola;114015] i think limited production is hardly a reason for retaining good resale value. if the demand drops after 1-2yrs ... [quote]

Well, that's what the main article was about. People won't be able to buy new on extended terms the way they used to, and the prices will be going up. So if you physically possess a gently-used model that people want ... resale will be good.

In almost two months' driving my own, there are no unusual wear parts in a base/touring/auto. Tires on both base and sport will be expensive, and summer treads aren't meant to last 60K miles. But considering that we can't rotate tires, all-seasons lasting 30K would be at the outer limits of practical expectations.

On the rest of it, well, the V6 being standard issue for many heavier cars in the Nissan/Infiniti lines improves both the availability of parts, and number of knowledgeable mechanics. Aluminum boot, doors and bonnet (to use the Brit words) and plastic cladding all under means the exterior should stay healthy -- much like a Bricklin. That's even discounting the crappy paint (that ALL car companies are using this year).

Quote:
i think Z is a relatively good "investment" now because it's a big bang for the buck. Worst case scenario you lose 20-25k (guesstimates) after 4 years.
I would not expect $25K depreciation in 4 years. The 2010 roadster is a healthy price increase, and whatever Nissan is selling as a Z in 4 years will cost 20% more than this year's sticker. (After we get though this deflationary cycle there will be price inflation in a number of economic sectors, to catch up.) So if you paid $35K this year, and the 2013 equivalent new car is $42K, you might trade at $22K ... which would represent a realworld cost of ownership of about $5,000., or a little over $400 a month.

On economic fundamentals, this is a mainstream car, not an exotic. Many car companies are in the business of pushing tin, but the Z is (like the marketing says) an icon.

Will it depreciate? Of course! But would you prefer a Chrysler right about now?
jginnane is offline   Reply With Quote