View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #56 (permalink)
Mr. C
Base Member

Drives: 2009 G37 7A
Mr. C is on a distinguished road

I can feel some minor high rpm vibration from my G37 which is an auto. I'm guessing the heavy torque converter quells most of it. Definitely the biggest and only real weakness of these cars, the engine is 50 lbs overweight and poor NVH control. Nissan should have redone the VQ engine altogether from the ground up like Toyota did with their GR motor. Honda's J-series engine is super smooth and sounds nice but makes no power. Both Nissan and Honda need new V6 engines not anymore half-assed updates. With Honda you get no power and with Nissan you get tons of vibration, too much weight and a lack of power at lower revs. But with Toyota you get smoothness, peak power, a fat power band and lightweight construction.

Of course Nissan went ahead and built a completely new V6 engine exclusively for the GTR but apparently it is too much to ask from Nissan to give the people who actually pay their bills for an engine that doesn't thrash around. My friend's BMW M3 is completely smooth regardless of engine speed even up to its 8000 rpm redline.

And Porsche's new active engine mounts use magnetorheological fluid, I believe its a world's first.

Last edited by Mr. C; 07-14-2009 at 06:27 AM.