Thread: P90x
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
KillerBee370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: with passion
KillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjaden View Post
This might be true but it depends on your goals. If you want to get huge and bulk up just eat tons of food, lift very heavy weights 3-4 times a week and use some steroids. It's a pretty simple formula.

Your cardio will also suck, your athleticism will be crappy, and your strength will not be functional. I am not ripping on you, because to be honest you look very muscular and in good shape, but most of the big guys at the gym who do their best to get huge and are always panting and out of breath after every set in the gym.

I compete in MMA and I used to weight train bodybuilding style. Bodybuilding it's 'pretty boy' muscle, which means it looks nice but is useless when competing in a lot of sports. I can't tell you how many guys who have tons of muscle on me, I can submit in under a minute because they gass out so fast.

P90x not that unsimilar to how many MMA athletes train with short explosive circuits and active recovery between sets. It is the BEST way to increase overall health, but you are right, it will never make you get huge and muscular, which I don't think it the goal of P90x, but may be misleading because all of their Male models on TV are juiced up fitness competitors who do a lot of bodybuilding training on the side.

You can expect THIS type of physique from a P90X/MMA routine, which I think is much more functional, much faster, and much more practical. But again it all depends on your goals, your diet, and your dedication.
I suppose if you skip any cardio altogether you'll wind up getting gassed pretty quick. I lifted heavy and ate a lot (proper nutrition) and wasn't bulky or slow. Of course I did a fair amount of cardio as well. Of course I didn't do any steroids so I can't really speak to that.

P90x is not a program to get big and bulky. It's a program to cut fat and get fit. IMO it's an excellent (albiet overpriced) program. Most people just need that kind of motivation to achieve those results though.

As far as submitting guys that are bigger and stronger, well... I have 2+ years of intense Krav Maga and Jui Jitsu training as well as a fair amount of Philipino martial arts and IMO there's trained and untrained. That's more of a determining factor for being able to "submit" someone than what body type they are. But one thing is certain. Fight training is a completely different type of conditioning. On the other hand, I wouldn't neccissarily say that bodybuilding is "pretty boy" muscle unless all you do is sit around all day without any cardio and put junk/juice into your body.

On a whole, "bodybuilding" on a professional level isn't about "health" at all. But proper bodybuilding is and strength training absolutely has it's place for ALL sports. MMA included.

Me... with heavy lifting combined with cardio and fight training...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg workout.jpg (353.1 KB, 38 views)
KillerBee370 is offline   Reply With Quote