View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
jginnane
Base Member

Drives: 09Z Pearl 7AT, 09 TL
jginnane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
You may be cutting yourself short by not considering the Mazda 3 5 door. Quit reading specs and go out and drive some cars. ... It's also a great driver ...
Yes, I need to drive them -- after I get a short list. In 04 I bought my wife a TSX because I fell in love with the specs, and didn't even look at the car. She, OTOH, didn't like going down from an ML-320 (tank) to a 4-banger. (A year later, she got a TL, and has been happy since with a FWD V6 ... until she took my Z out a couple times.)

Test driving the Cube won't be a problem since I'm due for an initial Z oil change at the dealer in a week or so. I'm predisposed now not to like the Cube ... part of my evaluation involves availability of a Thule rack and mounting a 58# Penobscot 16 on +the roof (ABS canoe). [The coefficent of drag must be slightly worse than a Boeing 747.]

The Fit has to be on the short list. A base Element is, too. Regrettably, hybrids won't make the cut (this time).

Mazda3 5-door hatchback (not Mazda5) is on the list. Manual, grand touring. (Finally, I get a stick.) The only negotiation is whether they'll meet the best price from overstock.com, $500 off invoice, or whether I have to travel 80 miles to that dealership (after the local test drive).

It's odd shopping a third car. No Bluetooth, moonroof, sat radio -- yeah, we got that stuff already on our good cars. HIDs are one luxury I'd allow myself, but easy fog or driving light mounting points would be almost as good.

There's room for one more on the list, then I'll post the configurations (with overstock.com price) to throw out the 2 low ones.
jginnane is offline   Reply With Quote