Thread: Cobb vs UpRev
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #110 (permalink)
Uprev
Base Member

Drives: Nissan/Infiniti
Uprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond reputeUprev has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Uprev

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
Here's what I'm trying to figure out. If you're going to get a dyno tune, is one really better than the other? I mean, if you're planning to use the canned maps, then I can see how one might be better. But if you're going to have a tuner custom tune your car on the dyno anyway, then what difference does it make? All the software is doing at that point is giving the tuner an interface to the ECU and allow him to modify the parameters. Do one of these software packages give tuners access to some parameters that the other doesn't? If so, then that would make one better than the other. But if both of them give the tuner access and control to the exact same parameters, then I wouldn't think it'd make a difference in terms of being able to get better gains out of one over the other.
The difference is the control the software has. The stock ECU in these newer Nissans is simply amazing. Leagues ahead of what the aftermarket builds as far as speed and capability.

We control more tables more accurately. We also give Pro Tuners and end user Tuners more access to additional features than anyone else. We also add features over time as customers have requirements that come up.

A Dyno Tune isn't just a dyno tune. If your tuner has more access and more absolute control the car will net more gain. Remember tuning isn't about power it's about efficiency. The more efficient you can make the motor run, the more power and the more mileage you'll net. One thing our customers have always raved about is the driveability. Anyone can add more fuel and push timing, but if you can't make the car drive better why bother? If I was spending $35k on a car, I wouldn't want it to drive like a busted old mid nineties turbo car.

It also depends on who your tuner is. We try and listen to feedback from customers as much as possible. We've cut off three of our Pro Tuners in the last 12 months because of customer complaints. If you look at our list of Pro Tuners you'll notice it grows constantly, and those names are some of the best in the industry.

As an aside, our software doesn't just work on the 350/370, G35/G37, Titan. it works on all Nissan and Infiniti vehicles that use the newer style ECU. We have customers with Versas, Sentras, Altimas, Patrols, Frontiers, Xterras, M35/45, FX35/45 running our software. No other company offers that kind of support for Nissan or Infiniti owners. Thats capability that no one else can offer, or even cares to offer. We also have Pro Tuners world wide and the list keeps growing.
Uprev is offline   Reply With Quote