View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #68 (permalink)
NIZMOZ
Track Member

Drives: 07 NISMO 350Z SA M6
NIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond reputeNIZMOZ has a reputation beyond repute

Just a hint for O2s that won't come out easy. Heat up the bung that is welded on the exhaust where the O2 is with a torch till it gets hot maybe even slightly red, then turn the o2 sensor out. Learned that from a ASE Certified mechanic friend that put my Berks in and the driver side O2 got stuck coming out. Did that and it turned out with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny McLain View Post
Not so sure....... Ordered Gen III intake, Stillen headers and Stillen exhaust on Monday and did the install over the last three days based upon the advice. (already had the Berk cats)

After spending much, much time laying flat on my back readjusting the exhaust, adding 8 washers to each bolt as a spacer to the brace, it still on occasion rattles and vibrates. Now to be fair, instead of the Stillen Y-pipe I used an existing one that I had that appeared to be of much higher quality. Go back and do the realignment with the Stillen Y-pipe and see if it solves the issue. So far everything people are complaining about are still issues.

Honestly really quite surprised. Every vendor on occasion has issues or problems with new items, but exhaust clearance is not rocket science and misalignment of parts should never go out the door as this is a known issue. As everyone has pointed out, you shouldn't need a phd to fit an exhaust.

Headers....Warning! The factory 02 sensors do not come out easily and one seized during removal, I went to the dealer to purchase a replacement. They are $425.00 and according to the dealer and an independent muffler shop, seizing during removal is a common problem. One of the parts guys told me he always quotes a new exhaust manifold along with the 02 as he said usually you cannot remove the 02 and it's easier to replace both. Upon taking the stock manifold to the muffler shop, they got it out but the threads were destroyed during the process, so it's another $425.00 that you didn't expect plus the hassle.

Warning, Warning! Pretty handy and do my own work as I'm very fickle about getting things right and not banging up my car. Also have excellent tool collection. I would never attempt the header install again. It might be OK if you do them all the time, know the tricks and have the special tools. But it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. You need to have the hands of a five year old to reach things as it's so tight.

Header quality vs stock. Stock is high quality but a poor design. Small tubes, crappy merge collection point and unequal length. Problem I've had is shorty headers typically do not help much. Dunno?? The dyno never lies.

Last note.........throwing 1168 MAF codes obviously from the Gen III intake. Do these go away on their own after the computer learns or is it another issue they don't tell you about??

Overall I honestly don't know what to think. Old established company, OK prices and the quality goes with the pricing. Vast difference in the welds and material of the Y-pipe that I purchased prior. Call them Monday and see how the mop flops and trying to get into Cobb for dyno tuning. We will see, but it would be a cold day in hell before I'd do headers again.
SOLD: 2007 NISMO 350Z #0044 Silver Alloy
New DD: 2010 Titan Pro4X CC
NIZMOZ is offline   Reply With Quote