View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

The only thing really wrong with the above statement is that the ideal of a "true" sports car has very much changed through the years. Especially when you consider how many sports cars have gone the way of steel bodies (well, aluminum got real expensive in 2007-08 here in the states), gaining lots of weight, having more than two seats, weight-to-power ratios, etc.
Then you have to consider what truly separates a good sports car from a "supercar." In more ways than one, those names have not become what the cars are, but just general terms to separate different target markets.

For example, the Z is for the sports car market; an affordable, fast, stylish, long standing race heritage that can make it on the street without a single hitch and probably take to a track stock (for a little) or mod it for the track. Then you've got the GT-R, which went from a high end tuner as the R34 to a complete purpose change, as a higher end sports car that could arguably compete with low end super cars and the race/track bred cars, specifically like the 911 GT3. Then you've got the Spec V (no idea why they flipped it from VSpec, lol).

Now, my opinion varies greatly from other people, and there is not a single doubt in my mind that people on this forum could argue the specific meaning of "sports car" for years on end.

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."
370Z Purist is offline   Reply With Quote