View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #217 (permalink)
Jeffblue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Z32TT & 335xi Coupe
Jeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond reputeJeffblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaggeron View Post
Jeff, obviously we are not communicating very well. The question is not whether two identical motors with the same displacement would be equal before and after turbo. Nobody claims that.

The point in contention is that given two motors both with the same HP and torque figures one being NA the other turbo, somehow -- magically -- the turbo'd engine is a better engine. My only claim is that is clearly not enough information.

Now there are some specific issues regarding the 2.0T which I would be willing to concede given evidence -- Can you spend under $1000 and get 30 to 50 more HP out of it? If not and if -- and these are big "ifs" I admit -- the FT weights in at 3k lbs or less (actually I probably wouldn't get it if it was much heavier than 2900lbs) and has more or less the concept HP -- around 200-210hp, then the 2.0T would be hard pressed to keep up given the 1K upgrade limit -- the FT would be faster out of the factory and the 2.0T would have to get a higher performance gain from the 1k than the FT would have to from its upgrades
Yea i think we are getting a little sidetracked. I guess my real point is that is if this car is supposed to be fast, its got to be really goddamn light. And we all know that isn't going to happen, so more than likely, it will just be slow. A lot of this super light weight hype is just because of the year we are in. case in point:

the z32 was often criticized as being a bloated fat pig of a car and strayed too far from the Z heritage by being SO big and heavy. This was in the 1990s. the Twin turbo 2 seater weight 3,373lb (per wikipedia)

come 2011, the 370z is praised for how light it is, weighing in at 3,232 lbs (Base). is 140lbs off what was criticized as a heavy fat pig of a car really that earth shattering? no, its because in 2011 we have so much extra safety equipment and regulations that what would have previously be considered a heavy car, is now considered a light car. So when it comes down to power to weight figures, these cars that are considered 'light', don't turn out to be that fast because they are actually quite heavy by 'light sports car' standards.

Last edited by Jeffblue; 05-19-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Jeffblue is offline   Reply With Quote