View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #94 (permalink)
jakoye
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 06 Mustang GT
jakoye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLion View Post
Do you really watch the show a lot? It's the show's big running gag that Jeremy loves BMW's and Merc's; Richard loves Porches and the Z. The show purposely put the 370 against the BMW for that reason.

During the test drive Jeremy said that the Z was amazing fun to drive. He thought it was a "racing hen" (alluding to the silly Jurasic Park theme). The review was a true endorsement. And, the Z won!
Yep. But I don't see it so much as a "running gag" (Jeremy's love for Mercs and BMWs) but instead a reflection of Jeremy's actual tastes. He's actually owned (and owns) a lot of Mercedes and BMWs, but never a Z.

And, as I said, at the end, when he delivers his JeffBlue sig line, I think he was telling the truth from his perspective: yes, the Z was great fun to drive, but when it came down to brass tacks, he preferred the Beemer.

Also, at the end of the piece, who else but Richard was sitting behind the wheel of the Z4 in the studio, praising its good looks and some such additional nonsense.

All that, for me at least, completely spoiled anything positive they said about the Z. I wanted a lovefest and instead got a back-handed slap. At least, that's how *I* saw it. YMMV.