View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
jginnane
Base Member

Drives: 09Z Pearl 7AT, 09 TL
jginnane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thispecialk View Post
do dealers do body work? wat do u think should i take it to a paint shop or dealer if they do it? maybe i should just buy a new bumper. what if the bumper has deep marking are they able to repair those?
Had too much experience with bumper paint repairs on my wife's last Acura TL.

First -- the plastic bumper cover for most cars is about $300-400 unpainted, so a body shop will charge another $300-400 for painting. A little more for metal paints (and other 3-layers, like my pearl white). That plastic bumper cover is about the weight of a $10 Rubbermaid trashcan from Walmart's, but it's shaped slightly differently. ;p

Second -- Most dealers will tell you the name of a body shop they "recommend". All dealers use body shops constantly because of damage, touch-up even on new cars before delivery. The price you get at that body shop is going to be within 10% of the best price you'll find elsewhere. But if you don't like your nearest body shop, ask at the next-closest Nissan dealer. (I have 9 dealers within 30 miles of my home; 30 dealers within 40 miles.)

Third -- the Z is new enough that the factory paint isn't stocked locally yet. (You can't even buy a touchup paint stick from Parts without them ordering it.)

Fourth -- I have heard that this year's factory paint, in most car lines, is not sprayed like the old-fashioned types with high volatile contents. My wife's royal blue Acura TL is a lovely shade of orange peel, all over. And my pearl Z's got a few chips in the hood already. (Am I worried? Naw... it's aluminum, after all. I'll just wait til the dealer starts stocking paint sticks in color code QAB.)

Finally, since it's on the rear, consider getting a piece of plastic to cover the damage and protect you from the next hit. See
www.eurobumperguard.com for different types of front and rear bumper protection. (In New York City, this stuff is a necessity.)

jginnane is offline   Reply With Quote