View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mergnthwirker
Base Member

Drives: '09 370Z PW MT6 S
Mergnthwirker will become famous soon enough

Mostly this has all been a mountain made out a molehill IMHO

I don't expect Nissan to do anything. Best case scenario: they offer an aftermarket kit that can be installed by the dealer and not affect the warranty. Worst case scenario, they do nothing, but deny warranty claims if you install an oil cooler yourself.

Yes the engine runs hot. Some people have been able to invoke the limp mode by getting it REALLY hot. But this seems to be pretty hard to do for most of us. If you regularly get it very hot, install an oil cooler kit. Having your Nissan dealer install the kit may protect your warranty, especially if you can coerce your local dealer into a guarantee in writing.

Hot engines will reduce oil life. If you don't put in an oil cooler, then change your oil more frequently and/or get your oil tested to determine the effects on your specific engine wear, and to see what oil change intervals you should use based on how much life is left in your used oil.

Deal with it people & stop whining, please!

Is it a design flaw? Perhaps, but you'll never get Nissan to admit it. Should a sports car meant to be driven hard not overheat its oil? Yea, probably. But you can take responsibility for the way you drive it, add a kit yourself, and stop whining about it.

I'm taking my own advice.
1. Using the Nissan ester oil (not b/c of the ester, but b/c of the patented DLC additives)
2. Using a K&N or Mobil1 oil filter, adding a little capacity and better filtering
3. Changing the oil more frequently, until I can get a baseline on the oil degradation from an independent lab.
4. When I start tracking the car, I will install an oil cooler (and maybe a differential cooler as well)

And I promise never again to post to a thread about oil temperature