View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #529 (permalink)
Billarf
Base Member

Drives: .
Billarf has a spectacular aura aboutBillarf has a spectacular aura aboutBillarf has a spectacular aura about

snipe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
3) Because of the awkward access (had to reach from below rather than from above), the drain plug removal resulted in my first significant "beyond-the-pan" spill in 45 years. Big mess, but I always place an absorbant pad under the drain pan (in this case, an old mattress pad), so no permanent concrete stains or the like. Still - big mess with inordinate clean-up time - ARGH!
Scenarios like this are good Fumoto Oil Drain Valve ad content. Once you install a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, oil pan draining is lets say a breeze. For example with the Z..
You do just remove the four rearward bolts and lower the access flap rather than going thru the hassle of the full belly pan removal. Now, with access flap open you just attach tubing to the Fumoto valve's nipple, (some owner's leave tubing attached on the valve) place the other end of the tubing in a jug and then open the Fumoto drain valve lever. Drain oil and change the oil filter. Oil filters can be changed with a minimum of mess even on a 370 Z. After new oil filter is in place, be sure valve is closed and then replenish oil. Virtually no fuss or mess and little to clean up afterwards as the oil is in a jug and no messy catch pans to deal with. Just cap the jug and transport to a recycle drop off point when you have time.

Along with easy, clean oil changes thanks to the Fumoto, you also no longer need to use crush washers. You aren't removing the drain plug so there is no longer worries about losing the oil drain plug, over tightening/stripping of threads, wearing out threads, etc.. IF you are one that does not want to change your own oil and filter (or lets others change your oil on occasion) but rather you use oil change places to change your oil then there is another advantage of the valve.. You tell your oil change guy/gal how to open and close the Fumoto valve and not to remove it. They change your oil and filter and you are free of worry whether they changed the crush washer, overtightened/stripped the oil drain plug, etc.. Oh, forgot to mention if you ever want to grab say a between oil change oil sample for testing, this is very easy if you have a Fumoto valve.

In closing, no the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve is not for everyone but it there are some compelling reasons to have one installed on your vehicle. For some, just the satisfaction of the oil change guy not fooling with your oil drain plug is compelling reason enough. As for me, quick, clean, easy and no fooling with a drain plug are my compelling reasons.

No, I do not own stock in Fumoto Engineering.
Billarf is offline   Reply With Quote