Thread: Rev Limiter?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
370Z Purist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '09 370Z-T BS M6
370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all370Z Purist is a name known to all

t-ray is completely right. The best a computer would do to save the engine would be to completely shut it down.. but even that would cause the engine to spin while not igniting any material, and inertial weight of the engine parts not being propelled by combustion would likely break several things in the connection from engine to tranny to differential.

The Z has a rev limiter. It's interesting, since if you're barely moving or stopped, the car limits revs at around 4.5k to 5k RPM. At speed, you should be able to break that limit, but you'll still bounce off the 7.5k line. I normally shift at 3.5k to 4.5k, and if I feel like hitting it a little, I keep it at or below 6k. If you really want to short shift and save a little gas, you can hit shifts at 2.5k or 3k.

"Since one of my brake light bulbs just went out, the forum told me that my piston rings are about to blow."
370Z Purist is offline   Reply With Quote