View Single Post
Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
need4speed
Base Member

Drives: 08 altima 3.5se
need4speed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
it was an interesting write up but there are other views such as:

In SoCal as early as the 60's the beetles and other cars were being tuned to race larger engine cars

and also there is "japanese import tuning scene"which started in the early 90's where gas rose in prices, and the crx, civic, integra, prelude, eclipse, etc were perfect cars for gas and speed for teens who didnt have money in america and thats how the culture blew up

puerto ricans were pioneers but i wouldnt state that it originated from there or made it the youth or huge culture of what it is today.

I dont mean to be an a-hole, its an awesome story but from the story it seems that you're from there and it can be a little bias.

americans also attempted smaller cars for tuning/speed, it just kinda failed (ex: pontiac fiero) and anyways american cars cant be imports in the first place xP
I'm not from cali. So I can't tell u bout how it started in cali.
I'm talkin bout the influence in the east coast. N I'm talkin way b4 eclipses n stuff
I'm talking specifically on original Z's, mazda rx 100 n rx 3 the first toyota corolla hatchbacks to name a few. The volkswagen n dunebuggy were popular in PR in the early 60s too.
We had our own auto trade system with mexico still until the late 90's
But in the late 60's to the late 80's the hot rod culture was dominant.
Japanese cars were considered crap. In th EAST COAST.
AFTER THE HOT RODS IT WAS ABOUT LINCOLNS AND CADDYS. Monte carlo camaro
Regal cutlass all ruled n people looked down on them.
In the east coast they looked down on imports so bad that if they couldn't buy new
American cars they bought em used. N when the gas crisis of the 70's hit.
Many went ford pinto or micro mustang.
Its not biased. Its truth on my side.
N even when u talk about the cali kids. U talkin bout volkswagens. I'm not talkin bout
German imports. I'm talkin japanese.
Some of u get up on here n talk b4 really getting the gist of the story.
The italian mob was the biggest influence on white n black america when it came to cars.
See what mobster then drove anything that wasn't american n german and HUGE.
I'm glad u liked the story or whatever. But. What u call bias is ur own lack of information and knowledge.
need4speed is offline   Reply With Quote