View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
flashburn
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 Corvette GS 6M
flashburn is just really niceflashburn is just really niceflashburn is just really niceflashburn is just really niceflashburn is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Ohh yea. Hitting the brakes while 2 wheels are in the dirt will spin you in a heartbeat.

As you've realized knowing the right thing to do and reacting the right way are two very different things. I made a similar mistake while road racing motorcycles which ended in a much more spectacular and painful way. One great tool to train you to react correctly are "simulator" video games (forza and gran tourismo). They do a surprisingly good job of recreating real physics, and if you use a wheel and pedals you can train yourself to react quickly and appropriately to these kinds of situations. Of course they aren't perfect and will never replace time behind a a real wheel, but they can definitely help.
Yeah, thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback regarding the "incident", that was why I posted the video. Talking about it will just help drilling it into my head, so hopefully next time I do react correctly.

I just recently got a good wheel stand, currently using the Driving Force GT with GT5, and I'll be getting the Fanatec GT2 so I'll also be able to use a wheel in Forza as well. After starting to turn all of the assists off in the game, I've found that it's also starting to help me to react to various situations. I've also found that it's pretty hard to learn a track while driving a car @ 150+ mph with no assists on, . Once I rebuild my HTPC, I'm going to try out iRacing as well, sounds like it is supposed to be a great sim.