View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
initialgemini
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2011 FX 35
initialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond reputeinitialgemini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Looking for Opinions: Keep the Z or buy an SUV

I've seen a number of members here move on to their next car for many reasons. Unfortunately, I'm faced with making a decision to keep or trade in my car, so I've decided to ask for some opinions.

I was recently promoted to a position which requires a lot of driving (almost 1000 miles of driving a month just for work). I thought the Z would be fine, but I quickly found I need more space in my car, will be toting around more than 1 person, and I frequent Industrial areas (has many driveways which scrape my underside and rough roads). I decided an SUV would be a more functional option considering I'm looking to settle down, will need something to haul materials for home improvement, I have an active lifestyle (Biking/snowboarding/camping/etc), and like the room (I'm 6'3" and having a taller car is much easier in and out).

So after much consideration, I've decided on the following options:

1) Buy a new car, trade-in the Z. I've been looking at the Q5, FX 35, and X3 as SUV that still have a somewhat sporty feel. (I've test drove them all, I feel the Q5 2.0T is the front runner) Downside: No more sports car, no more rowing through 6 gears)

or

2) Buy a new/used car for 20-24K, and keep the Z. In this category, I've looked at the V6 RAV4, used 4Runners/Highlander. Downsides: Two cars, currently living in a complex with limited parking, and double the cost of maintenance/insurance.

Things to consider:

1) I still have about a year worth of payment for the Z.
2) My company pays for mileage and maintenance.

I'm sure many here have had to make similar decisions. If anyone can chime in with some opinion or even other options, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited by initialgemini; 05-10-2011 at 11:34 AM.
initialgemini is offline   Reply With Quote