View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
XwChriswX
WFLYIDNNE

Drives: 02 GDB WRX
XwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond repute

LoL I actually did go to bestbuy to pick up a head unit (just something better than stock, not the final unit I can't afford yet ) And since I was being lazy I decided hell just let them install it. So I took it in, and had already ordered the Metra kit for our car myself. I had read all the DIY's on here about how to do it so I was 90% sure I could have done it myself. I just dont have a soldiering gun and that stuff, and I wanted at least the conversion harness done right so I let him do that bit.

Now whenever my car's being worked on, it's never out of my sight. And for good reason. When removing the cars interior panels, he did take his time and took them out properly. Not trying to pry them off when there are screws attached. He made sure to separate and organize all the screws so not to lose any/mix them up. That part made me feel better. But when it came to actually assembling the metra kit, and attaching it to the new head unit, that's where I saw his knowlege was lacking. After reading the DIY a hundred times I had learned how to set it up myself, but I didn't want to be the asshole customer telling the tech how to do his job lol. So I let him be and just watched as he tried setting it up about 15 different ways... After about a half hour of this I kindly suggested he do this and use these pieces and set it up like it should be. (Still being behind the "Authorized Persons Only" line)

Seeing that he still doesn't quite get what I'm saying, I kindly walked over and assisted in the assembly and mounting of the Metra kit to the head unit. (Basically, I came over, used his tools, and put it together myself...) He asks what the extra pieces for (For when you have a Double Din unit, since mine is a Single Din for now) I politely just said I dunno, and let that be that. He moved everything aside as if to make a 'throw away' pile, so I just took those pieces, put them back in the bag, and put them safely in the car. lol

Once we got it in the car, the Metra kit was a breeze. The only confusing part for him was trying to reinstall the A/C controller that sticks out from the back in the slot. This took about 5 minutes and the whole thing was installed in about 10 minutes with all the wiring being complete.

So in his technical prowess, I'd give him good marks, but not in the assembly department. I'm guessing since either it was a new car or not your standard late 90's-mid 2000's Ford/Chevy... He didn't really know the install kit. So no harm no foul. All screws were replaced and panels installed properly. Kit works like a champ.

Although, when I do switch to a Double Din Video HU, I will do it myself this time.

**Before leaving I asked him about the 'certification' they need to have to work there, and he explained that the school has 3 tiers, Basic, Advanced, And whatever comes after that, I didn't really care to rememeber cause at this point I just wanted to get home... But that he'd only been to the Basic school. I felt I had more knowlege of stereo installs just from teaching myself things and researching what I'm doing before I do it. Maybe I should apply as a part time thing.

Take from it what you will, that's just 1 installer at 1 store, but that's my

Bonnie - Stage 2, Audio build coming this fall!
R.I.P. Abby 3/29/10 - 3/30/14
XwChriswX is offline   Reply With Quote