View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
imag
Enthusiast Member

Drives: up the wall
imag will become famous soon enough

I'm stoked that Toyota and Mazda are getting it back together. I hope Americans follow through and buy the sports cars again to make them profitable.

My worry about sports cars is that traffic has gotten so bad that most people don't have a place to drive them, so they don't have as much credit with normal people. My theory about the SUV craze is that people just sit in traffic all day, so height is a bigger status symbol than speed. After all, if you're just stuck on the freeway, a rolling living room is more important than a twitchy enthusiast machine.

The blue Toyota renderings, and all the renderings I've seen on that Toyobaru, look pretty sweet. I'm not so into the LF-A.

And I'm more excited about the next-gen RX-7 than any other vehicle right now, but I still feel like the Nagare language doesn't translate from the Furai to a production vehicle. The Furai is insane looking, in a good way, but when they try to paste those cues onto production cars they just look like they have a dopy grin and crazy cut lines all over them. They just look dated before they even come out. The FD was a classic design, with some bold moves (like the door lines). It didn't have swoopy slices all over. I hate to say it, but I have to say the Toyota renderings look better than the Mazdas. It will be interesting to see what the real concepts look like.

Can't wait for the Tokyo show. Most interesting cars all year, IMO.
imag is offline   Reply With Quote