View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
u155282
Banned

Drives: stanglangling
u155282 is on a distinguished road

Hey there,

There's actually quite a few of us here in the Air Force. [See the "Occupations of 370z heads" thread]

I am a 2nd Lieutenant going to pilot training in December. I graduated from California State University San Bernardino last month and commissioned (became an officer) the following week. I did it through Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC), but that is just one the possible commissioning sources available to you. Officer Training School (OTS) is probably the other most viable option for you, depending on how far along you are in college.

Typically, AFROTC is the better option if you are an underclassman, OTS if you are upper, but that isn't necessarily always true. It just depends on your situation. Since you're graduating in May 2010, you're probably too late to get on the AFROTC track, but if your school has it (or if there is a magnet school nearby) I would go see if there's someway to get you on an accelerated program just in case. It could be that you could get in AFROTC by following on to a Masters program after you finish you BA/BS. If not, your probably looking at OTS.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then go to AirForce.com, Wikipedia, etc. and do some research. There's mountains of info out there, but if you can't find what you are looking for, let me know and I'll do what I can to answer your questions.

The Air Force is awesome. Even as a new officer, a 370z should probably be affordable, depending on the options you're looking at and other matters affecting your finances (if you have dependents or outstanding loans, etc.)

DON'T ENLIST. There's nothing wrong with enlisting, but if you have a college degree, you might as well be an officer. You'll make better money and have better job opportunities. I only say that because I've heard a crazy story or two about recruiters trying to talk college grads into enlisting.

The military is certainly not for everyone, but for those who are cut out for it, it is definitely a wise choice.

Last edited by u155282; 07-07-2009 at 03:03 PM.
u155282 is offline   Reply With Quote