View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

i love an all carbon fiber car, especially if done with quality parts that fit well.

something you need to consider is the quality of the CF you are using. i think its cool to have typical seibon or similar build CF parts here and there, but when doing a full car, I dont know if it would come out as well as you want unless you went with the high end dry stuff that is actually lightweight and strong. it costs many multiples to have made compared to the typical cosmetic carbon fiber 99.5% of people get. its not anything at all like the carbon fiber you see a high end or race car built from.

the typical stuff is not very light at all, its rather flimsy, and not exactly strong. for example a seibon part... i have their TS hood and i am very content with it for the money, but its nothing you should compare to what you see in exotic applications... its for style only. its a tad heavier than stock, its not very rigid and the fitment might raise some eyebrows. dont get me wrong, im thrilled with it for what i paid... i paid a 10th for it what the real deal would cost.

exotic/race car quality carbon fiber is INSANELY light, and insanely rigid and strong. its like night and day. but its also insanely expensive. The average stuff you can pretty much just consider it a fiberglass part that looks a lot like carbon fiber.

i think that if the whole car was done with parts like it, the lack of perfect fit may compound and the car might appear sorta uneven all over. it wouldnt be much lighter if at all, because these type of CF parts are not much lighter than thin steel panels like a fender, they are heavier than aluminum parts like our hood... and while the CF doors would be lighter since you are ditching all the steel frame... you are talking about a rather flimsy door and questionable side impact safety.

i think your idea would be AMAZING to see done... but if you are role modeling cars like that aston martin you posted... you might end up disappointed in the difference of quality when using "cheap" carbon fiber parts like most of us can afford.

Last edited by phunk; 05-05-2011 at 01:21 AM.
phunk is offline   Reply With Quote