View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
DJ-of-E
Track Member

Drives: 00 Toyota Celica 040
DJ-of-E is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
I recommend you surf the board here and simply "listen" and look at what people are saying. Actually LEARN a thing or two about cars, and get some self-satisfaction out of doing things for yourself.
I concur. I wish my dad helped me pay "half" my 370z. Hell, I wish my dad got me a Mercedes Benz rather than my part time job at 16 and instead of me paying $500 1985 Toyota Celica GT-S as a first car. I also couldn't afford mods so I used the money to go tracking stock (with track prep mods like oil cooler & bigger oil pan of course)

When I hit 18 and start hitting race tracks and auto-x quite often, what I learn is that my stock 130HP car can still outcorner and outlap a lot of other much newer cars with just skills and experiences. And you know what, my couple grand worth of track / auto-x experience far outweights many grands of mods I wanted to do with my cars. For example, I never driven my friend's EG6/K20. My friend who spent over $10k worth of mods got himself a times near 2:20. I spent 7 laps at Buttonwillow and got a time of 2:08, averaging 2:11 a lap. .

I'm already 26 and all I want to say is use the car to experience more about yourself, to learn more about you and the car. Don't use the car as an extension to show off because there's always someone with a better looking and better performing car.