View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Splinter
Base Member

Drives: GM '11 370z Base+SP
Splinter is on a distinguished road
Default DIY: Show-N-Go install (Grill, center mount)

first of all i want to thank Boost_lee and ENT-Z for their original DIYs, i have always looked for a way to be able to go from having a license plate mounted to not having one in as little time and hassle possible, i've messed with cabinet hardware, magnets, etc and have never come up with a satisfying solution.

so this is taking boost_lee's diy a step further and modifying the center bracket to allow the show-n-go to be mounted as flush as possible with the front bumper, couple of cuts had to be made but nothing major. this bracket is also very cheap to replace if you mess up, can be bought from courtesyparts for about $20 and its only purpose is to hold the outside temp sensor and on a non-nismo Z is for the hood stay to hook onto... the thing that holds the hood closed after you pull the lever inside the car.

btw tools i used was a dremel with a cutting wheel, however it was hard to make the cuts straight due to not having enough room to maneuver around the bracket, i had to use a dremel flex shaft, a 90 degree attachment for the dremel would have made it alot easier.

references:
Original Diy by ENT-Z
Diy by Boost_lee

now onto the pics.

preliminary test fit to see where i had to cut:

front view:

i also liked that there was a threaded hole in the bracket, so i used that to mount and secure the back of the plate holder.

this is the bracket afterwards. i made 2 cuts and bent the remaining tab back as flat against the bracket as i could, test fitted to make sure the plate holder fit in the slot.

then i had to trim a bit of the metal on the top to make room for the motor on the plate holder. i actually ended up trimming the rest of it off so its flat. forgot to take a pic

then i painted all the exposed metal with some black touch up paint. this paint is actually kinda old, could have used some thinner.

this is the show-n-go installed, as you can see i used a 10mm bolts i had laying around to mount the plate holder to the bracket using the hardware that came with the show-n-go. i did have to angle the bracket a bit so that it lined up correctly, it was that or drill new holes on the plate holder but that probably would have made it hang crooked.

this is it mounted and up, nice and straight.

now with the bumper back on i secured the front of the plate holder with zip ties just like boost_lee did.

and this is how much it sticks out beyond the grill on the bumper

and the final product

the kit comes with some foam pads that you can stick to the back of the plate holder so when it comes up it doesnt hit and scratch your bumpers, i actually stacked the 2 that you get right on the top-middle of the plate holder, without these the protruding backs for the screws hit the bumper. i didnt get a pic of this

the wiring was all explained in the show-n-go instructions, connect the harness (2 wires) to the motor, find a location for the receiver, and then connect to power and ground.

so hopefully people that were looking into doing something like this can get an idea of what is required.

here is a video too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL9eXdFUCII

Last edited by Splinter; 05-03-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote