View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #615 (permalink)
champgm
Base Member

Drives: 2010 370z PW A7
champgm is on a distinguished road

I disassembled the car first by drilling out the rivets carefully (I cracked the bottom plastic plate of my first one because I didn't go slow enough)

Then, I submerged it in paint stripper (not sure of the brand, I just got it from wal mart) for about 20 minutes

After that, I held the body in a pot of warm water with pliers and scrubbed the remaining paint off with a toothbrush.

I toweled it off and then suspended it in a cardboard box with some coat hangers glued to the bottom of the box

Then, I sprayed a light coat of white spray primer (also from wal mart) and let it dry, then flipped the car over on the coat hanger and sprayed another coat
I let that dry again, then painted on the tail lights with some "red metal flake" paint I got from Michael's and the headlights, handles, Z symbols, and Nissan symbols with another model paint called "Silver Argate" and a REALLY small paintbrush.

After I let all of that dry overnight, I put it back in my cardboard box rig and sprayed two more light coats of "triple thick" clear gloss (also from wal mart)

After I let that dry for several hours, I put the car back together and put two small dots of hot glue where the rivet heads used to be (i'll probably use epoxy next time)
champgm is offline   Reply With Quote