Thread: oil cooler
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dark Sarcasm
Track Member

Drives: 11 CTS-V Coupe
Dark Sarcasm will become famous soon enoughDark Sarcasm will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
No, you shouldn't.

GM used to put a plate/fin style oil cooler in the Z06. They no-longer do. The ZR1 doesn't have one, either.

Oil coolers cause problems on the street. Now GM has an oil-cooler that uses the coolant to regulate oil temp. It lives by the oil-pan and has no fins, etc. It simply moves the coolant and oil near each other to keep them roughly the same temp.

A lot of Z06 owners from previous years are only hitting 135-155* on the highway oil-temp. My car runs 185-200* on the highway, depending on ambient temp.

So MUCH BETTER for the car.

I would suggest you take a note from GM who REMOVED an oil-cooler like the one you want to install and developed a different one that won't cause as much issue.
your like a baseball fan in the upper deck doing "the wave". No matter how hard you try you will never be a part of the crowd.

WTF do aftermarket 370Z oil coolers have to do with factory GM oil pan fins coolant thing-a-ma-jigs?

MY 370Z runs in the 200+ temps on 90* days. 220* is not uncommon under hard driving conditions. To the OP, a properly installed oil cooler is no more detrimental to your ride than any other aftermarket part. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.