Thread: oil cooler
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigZ View Post
If I do not intend on bringing my 370z to the track should I still invest in an oil cooler?

I intend on buying headers, high flow cats , intake, cat back and a tune for the car over the next year. SHould I budget an oil cooler too?

Dave B
No, you shouldn't.

GM used to put a plate/fin style oil cooler in the Z06. They no-longer do. The ZR1 doesn't have one, either.

Oil coolers cause problems on the street. Now GM has an oil-cooler that uses the coolant to regulate oil temp. It lives by the oil-pan and has no fins, etc. It simply moves the coolant and oil near each other to keep them roughly the same temp.

A lot of Z06 owners from previous years are only hitting 135-155* on the highway oil-temp. My car runs 185-200* on the highway, depending on ambient temp.

So MUCH BETTER for the car.

I would suggest you take a note from GM who REMOVED an oil-cooler like the one you want to install and developed a different one that won't cause as much issue.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote