View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #30 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexB View Post
I'm a new Z owner (2 weeks), but I also had a 1995 996. The cars are similar is some respects: Both are high performance/short wheelbase cars that are loud to ride in, and have stiff sport handling.

The age is a huge factor. When stuff starts breaking (and it will), you will pay much more for even minor repair work, even at an independent shop. They figure you have a Porsche, so you can afford it. I also would not touch the 996 without buying an extended warranty, and that will be expensive as well.

In short, I loved my 996, but I'm really glad I don't have it now. The Z? Me like; much, much.

Also, your wife will hate riding in the 996. It's even louder inside than the Z. You'll be in for a lot of "I told you so's," and who needs that?

Hmmm they didn't start selling 996 until 98? Perhaps you had 95 993? I'd much rather have a nice 993 than a gen1 996.

To OP FYI motors on 996 had some major flaws. Engine seal issues and intermediate shaft bearing problems. You can get a nice 2000 to 2002 Boxster S for $15k I'd go for that over a $30k 99 996.