View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #343 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoX Z View Post
To clarify Hoosier A6s are not slicks, they are DOT race tires. Slicks are a completely different animal and are not allowed in stock or street prepared. If you are going to get some Hoosiers 295/30/19 is the size you want on all 4 corners. I would spend some more time on your stockers before making the jump to r-comps. If you think you're ready to drop 1300 on a set of tires that will last maybe 1/2 season and cannot be driven on the street then by all means.

Ps if you're wondering don't waste you're time with other r-comps like Toyo r888's and the like. Hoosiers are the only ones worth paying for.
I would contend that A6's are very much DOT R slicks as opposed to DOT R treaded tires. An A6 is closer to a radial race slick than a treaded street tire. Compounds the A6 uses are very similar to true race slick compounds as well. I have always found it amusing when some people try to say an A6 isnt a slick but a DOT R race tire. What exactly does that mean in a practical sense as in many venues an A6 is superior to non DOT race slick. Thats especially true now as Good Year and Hoosier have stopped producing many non DOT race slick sizes in soft compounds in favor of supporting road racing compounds that just dont work in AX. Again there are exceptions but really A6 is a slick in general sense of the word. Its not a tire you can drive on the street any more practically than a true radial race slick.

Also I would challenge assumption that A6 is only way to go for a DOT R tire. It depends on your goals and skill level. Toyo R888 is a fair tire and if you need something to drive back and forth to event its far better choice than a A6. Treaded DOT R can also double as an intermediate rain tire where A6 would fail. And tread life will be far greater on treaded DOT tire. I'm actually a fan of Nitto NTo1 as intermediate tire that can be driven to events.

Not everyone is headed to Nationals and having flexibility to run a streetable treaded DOT tire is something many of us who dont want to trailer tires use. My street wheels have R888's and I only use them for local AX now. My race wheels have R6's for track work. A6 is just over priced and only really required if you are out for National Tour or big event win. Also dont ignore the new Good Year DOT R tires. They make a soft AX compound now and cars on Good Year DOTs in San Diego were beating Hoosier clad cars at National tour. I think a few more National title winners will be on Good Year DOT R tires this year. That pretty much puts a stick in things for Hoosier being the " only ones worth paying for".