View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Shamu
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z Racecar
Shamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond reputeShamu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Cossie,

Sometimes your complaints just aren't rational, my friend. RE-11s are slower than R-comps? Well, duh.

As for the XP10s, try rolling into and out of the brakes more gradually (quickly, but smoothly without a sudden stomp). If you stomp the brakes, the ABS goes bananas. I noticed during my last autoX while stopping in the stop box that the ABS goes into and out of ice mode. It was kind of ridiculous. The brakes would bite, let go, then clamp down again and I'd finally stop. My XP10/8 combo was great on Road America last fall though.

Don't pull the ABS fuse. Disconnect the harness from the ABS module in the engine bay.
I would agree that braking application has a lot to do with how abs reacts. I was used to good ABS systems that allowed me to stomp on things without any issues. The system on our cars does not like that. I learned a lot by disconnection my ABS system and running several days.

Rear of our cars likes to lock up under heavy braking. My first session out without abs I applied what I thought was going to be threshold level pressure and rear end came scooting out to one side. So I started to more gradually roll on the brakes and learned I didnt have any issues. However once the abs goes into ice mode its tough to recover so I will prefer to run track days without ABS. I'm much better at modulating non abs system than dealing with ice mode. I'd rather have maybe one or two lock up senarios without abs as opposed to out of control car running into a corner with little braking force. I dont like it when car takes over from me and doesnt allow me to use the brakes the way I see fit.

I have driven MX5's on DOT R slicks and can say abs systems in those cars are awesome! They actually allow tires to start to loose traction and seem to keep the car right on the brink. In all my time with that car I never lost faith in the abs system like I have with the 370 Z during competition. I know we will find a solution with a few more of us serious track guys in the cars. Its only a matter of time now.

Also to Cossie on slicks. I suspect they may complicate things for you even more on the braking side.