View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
flashburn
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '12 Corvette GS 6M
flashburn is just really niceflashburn is just really niceflashburn is just really niceflashburn is just really niceflashburn is just really nice
Default Found a regular Auto Insurance policy that cover's HPDE's

I found one company that does not exclude HPDE's under their normal auto insurance policy, Liberty Mutual.

The closest thing they have is this exclusion:
“4. Any vehicle, located inside a facility
designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b. Practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or
speed contest.

The part that saves this from excluding even HPDE's is the part that says "for the purpose of". The only part I thought was questionable was the "practicing or preparing for a race" part, but by that they mean something like pre-race qualifying or practice sessions. I had them confirm this and that specifically HPDE's would be covered (although you might want to get this in writing).

I decided not to go with them, since the same coverage I normally get cost over double compared to my rate at Allstate ($2500 vs $1050 for 1 year). Although if I did do something like 8-10 events a year, I think I'd be able to justify it.

Decided to go with OnTrackInsurance.com, $208 for $37k of coverage @ Sebring for 2 days. They were about $10 more than Lockton Affinity, but their deductible is only 5% instead of 10% at Lockton.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. My first event I didn't bother getting insurance, but I'm kind of paranoid and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Especially with all the other costs that come into going to an HPDE, $200 for insurance is a drop in the bucket.