View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
the_student
Track Member

Drives: '13 LE 4runner
the_student is on a distinguished road
Default Shift Knob Removal...repercussions?

Okay, so I had my old 2009 370Z and switched out the shift knob without any problems. As you know you should grip the base as well as the knob itself to take it off. That Z is gone...RIP. Not my fault nor was I even in the car when it happened.

Anyway, yesterday I got a new Z, basically the same exact type. So I got a Nismo Shift knob and thought I would take off the stock one again. I thought it wouldnt be that hard. Boy was I wrong, it was way harder than last time. I had a piece of thick rubber around the bottom shaft with strong pliers holding it. As I was turning the shift knob taking it off, it actually was spinning and I had thought that it had gotten loose. And so I turned it a couple of full revolutions thinking that it would loosen up more. I was wondering what was happening but the bottom shaft actually spun with the knob and the knob wasnt really gettting loose. I was very scared that I just effed up my transmission, So I turned on my car and shifted it through all the gears while driving it to see what I had done. Surprisingly, nothing seems to be broken....Thank God. Anyway I just held the bottom shaft on the bare metal and taking off the knob was a lot better.

I was just wondering about things I should look for or feel while driving that would tell me something is wrong with my tranny? So far it feels normal while shifting and engaging gears while semi pushing it. I hope I dont pay for it later on.

2011 370Z PW 6MT Base/Sport...KW V3/HKS/TE37 SL/Clear Bra
the_student is offline   Reply With Quote