Thread: Brake pad life?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLion View Post
Great advice! Thanks. I haven't found a dealer for Carbotech. Z1 Motorsports has the AMS Carbon-Ceramic pads which they claim make a good choice for DD and track use. Any experience with them?

I am getting a floor jack, jack stands, and impact wrench so I can switch out pads once my skill improves to the point that I can use high performance brakes. Short of switching out every time (we have weekday track afternoons here), it would be nice to have my DD brakes also perform well on the track.

My thought is that for a Tuesday afternoon track session I could use a less dusty and aggressive set of pads (like the AMS if they are good), and then for full track days, swap out to Carbotech.

Make sense?
Don't have any info on the AMS. The Mintex Extreme is a respectable double duty pad if you aren't super hard on them, they have a nice progressive feel and reasonable heat capacity. They do dust a little bit. There is no pad that excels at both so you either go with a compromise or use 2 sets of pads so that you can have the best of both worlds. Changing pads is really easy on the sports package even if you don't have any mechanical experience.