Thread: Highway Speeds
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
BalanBro
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 40th Anniv. 370Z
BalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond reputeBalanBro has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, a radar detector does give a bit of insurance, especially when passing someone where you may briefly go way over the limit.

The only thing I noticed is that for a radar to truely be effective, you have to know what band the local police are using. For instance, around me, the state troopers all use Ka band, so I've come to treat X-bands as falses. In NYC however, I noticed cops where using X. So don't expect to get a radar and think you are truely safe. At best it is a "third eye". You still need to rely on common sense and good judgement.

When you drive in traffic, watch the people in front of you. If you see lots of brake lights randomly lighting up, it's probably a cop.