View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #34 (permalink)
ZForce
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Tour + Sport
ZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud ofZForce has much to be proud of

Yeh it took me awhile (like one long days ride) to see and feel the hydro shields robbing air flow. Agree there is no way the shields could be installed incorrectly, it's pretty straight forward. There are two 370Z's in the garage so it makes it simple for a comparision. Both are set up identical except car # 2 does not have the hydro shields installed. Upon test driving both it was very apparent car # 1 w/hydro shield was getting robbed of air flow.

Car # 2 showed some increase in air flow (even though I would have made the cut a smaller hole) being it did not have the hydro shields installed.

Once I did my mod, instant free flowing air across the filters. Good thing about it is I can put it back to stock and test it again anytime. Keep in mind my car also has other mods which may be the difference or no difference you described.

I am running a slighty modded Nismo S-tuned CBE with Berk HFC.

If you are not hearing the engine /CAI making a garbled sound at low rpm from 1500-3000 rpm, then you are probably ok.

If you want to test my mod with the option of setting it back to stock, no harm done, just peace of mind. I really think Injen did not test the air flow and restriction that I found when doing their R&D. I cannot see any other place where the outside air flows thru the front facia to reach the air filters other than from the small 1" hole on the under belly plastic cover that protects the underside of the engine and oil pan. There is some air flowing down the tubes from inside the engine bay as there is an opening in the inner fender well that does provide air. I tested this by covering the opening and sure enough it garbled and lost power.

I will try to get some pics up soon of this mod and the weather stripping mod.
ZForce is offline   Reply With Quote