View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bonzo
Track Member

Drives: Finally, a 370Z!!!
Bonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond repute
Default License Plate Graphic Question

Since this thread is not directly 370Z related, I put it in the Off Topic Lounge. I hope that's the right place for it.

Background
Here in Ohio our ex-governor made the worst decision of his life a few years back by letting his wife design our new license plate. Everyone I know who actually likes cars thinks it's absolutely hideous. It looks like something some goody-goody 2-shoes 3rd grader would make, and there is no way I will be caught alive with one of these on any car of mine. Just terrible. I have to assume it's why he wasn't re-elected.

Idea
So I presented an idea to my nephew about wrapping the plate with a new graphic, as he does with cars. This brought up the immediate question as to whether it was legal or not to do that. My first reply was that, I don't care, because that god awful disgusting thing is not going on the back of my new 370Z. But then I told him my idea was this; to actually print the graphic just like the older Ohio bicentennial plates (which are white, blue & red). I would use all the correct letters/numbers (or even cut them out so the real ones underneath show through), and use my real renewal sticker in the corner. We could even print it on white reflective stock. The way I see it, a cop would have to be very very picky to notice that it wasn't the real graphics.

Question
So the question is, since it will actually be my real plate with real renewal stickers, just with an "artificial" graphic covering the horrendous farm art, is it legal?

Another Question
Then my nephew brought up that guys with show cars redo their plates all the time. They even paint them to match the car color etc. Now this would be even cooler to do. If my 370Z were white, then a solid white plate with just black letters/numbers would be the best for sure. Of course I'd make it say Ohio and the county too just to be covered, but a white & black plate on a white car would look the best for sure (at least for me).

So, Any Input?
So does anyone know the law pertaining to all this for sure? I'm sure it varies from state to state, so I would most importantly want to know about Ohio. But, any input would be appreciated. I'd just like to know for sure.

Thanks for your input in advance ---- Bonzo

PS. Here is a picture of the 2 plates. The top one is the old plate I plan to imitate, while the one on the bottom is our new ridiculously ugly one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ohio Plates.jpg (272.8 KB, 4 views)
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote