View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #58 (permalink)
KillerBee370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: with passion
KillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond reputeKillerBee370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddriver View Post
Hello, KBee,

I followed your link and it shows your navi being installed inside the cubby hole? That is where I really want my aftermarket head unit installed. It seems no one has done this yet so it might take extra effort/fabrication?

I really want to get rid of that huge cabinet on the dash and make it look like the oem navi. All the aftermarket unit I see here are installed way down below the cabinet.
I agree that that big "cubby" space is kind of a waste. It's a large enough area to take up quite a bit of dash space whereas it's also pretty shallow (with an angled rear-bottom) that makes it useless to store anything other than a pair of sunglasses or an iPhone in there. Dumb.

I also agree that usable items such as an aftermarket stereo or navigation could (and should) go in that spot. You would be surprised at how that whole thing opens up if you haven't seen it already and I should have taken a picture of it. It's hinged at the bottom and opens forward and down so you have great access to customize some sort of bracketed mounting system for just about whatever you want to put in there. The only problem will be fabricating a "face" so that once the trap door is removed for such an application, it doesn't look ugly like you hacked it all to hell. I myself wanted to keep the door in order to hide my Navi unit as a matter of both practicality and safety.

Good luck and I would love to see more people using this space for aftermarket *usable* products!
KillerBee370 is offline   Reply With Quote