View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
SPOHN
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Waiting on next Z
SPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond reputeSPOHN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forged Performance/ OS Giken LSD Review (pics)

Ok.... The reason I listed Forged Performance first in my thread is because after much thought they deserve more props than my LSD does at the moment. I went to FP yesterday to have my OS Giken LSD installed. Well in so many words everything wasn't smooth as we wanted it to be. It was nothing on FP side. There was just some issues with the OSG itself and the new axle stubs. It mostly seem to came down to some tight tolerances on the LSD and the new axle stub thereseves which had to have some machine work for them to fit properly. Mostly around where the snap rings go in place. That's about as much as I know to explain. FP might shine in if they wish. But there's really no need. That's the basic of it.

But the reason I'v stated the above is to give you a brief idea of what happen. Because this ended up taking most of the day. And while there where some unexpected series of events which cost FP much time and more money to get this done, They really came through and HOOKED ME UP!! None of the additional time or cost was applied to myself. In which it easily could of been. Talk about first class customer service. They even stay after hours to get me out the door. I don't see why anyone local or far away wouldn't want to do business there. I've never hung around there shop as long as I did yesterday and I saw first hand of how much of the business side was ran. They where all happy to talk on the phone to customers, answer question. I saw them triple check all work. They test drove all cars finished more than thoroughly. You could argue that's how it's post to be. But seeing it first hand really does something you never forget and that's why I feel I should take the time to type all this. I've done business with FP for several years now and the shop is ran better than ever. For they have the best workers there from every aspect to work on specific projects coming together as a team. I invite you to at least stop by there if anything to check out there operation. Money spent there is well deserved, for most don't see behind the scenes. Some shops bend over backwards to get things done and alot of this goes unseen. So big thanks to everyone at Forged Performace and there hard work.

I gotta start off saying that I am very impressed w/ the performance change of my car from this one modification. Whether it was the OS Giken LSD, going to a clutch-type LSD or just having something that grabbed and getting power down coming out of the corners is mind-blowing now. So much was being left on the table by not being able to make good use of all the power the Z has on tap that I’m having to relearn the limits of the car since they are now beyond where I would’ve expected them to be before this mod. Prior to this LSD the only other LSD equipped car I've driven was my G37 with the VLSD. Night and day is all I can state. Simply put; OUTSTANDING! A true LSD is what this car needs more than anything else. The open diff is essentially a joke, and after this mod it gives you an understanding of what this car needs, but having this LSD made me realize that there is so much potential in this car.

I took it for it’s maiden drive today. I was fully expecting some wheel hop when pulling out of the driveway and turning onto the street. Nothing. Surely the inside wheel will skip a little or it’ll make some kinda noise as I head around the corner... there was nothing. No inside wheel skipping, no humming or detectable differential noise during cruising at any speed. I then went to a place I knew of that had two sweeping corners that really allowed the throttle to be held flat where as in the past it would have need modulation. When the back end would step out, it did it quicker than before but it was never unpredictable and it regained composure just as quickly. At the end of that there was a hard braking zone coming out of a corner. On another occasions I recalled getting a hint of rear end squirm for a split second just prior to downshifting, but the car never felt out of control. At this point for me I was smiling. IMO OS Giken put together a truly quality product here. I read good reviews from the BMW forums prior to deciding on it over other available LSDs for the Z and now I know I made a great choice. Hopefully I'll be able to give more reviews when I get some decent seat time. I still have alot more to fell out. It's hard to rely everything for there's so much going on.

So this is my quick review of my OSG threw my eyes. I put alot of thought and heart into this all day. So I hope it's helpfull. For normally I can never find the right words to express what I'm thinking. Damn ADD. So grammer police stay away.

Open Diff

OS Giken

One of two axle stub

Last edited by SPOHN; 04-12-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: change topic
SPOHN is offline   Reply With Quote