View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #83 (permalink)
dAvenue
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: angry
dAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond reputedAvenue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportConvert View Post
For those of you in that boat, just get a 0% interest loan. That way you don't lose money to inflation while you save--the bank loses it while you pay.
Financing a car will not protect you from inflation. Inflation is not limited to the value of a single item; inflation occurs when the value of the dollar goes down as a result of too many dollars in circulation (like when the Fed prints money to pay off its debts or "stimulate" the economy). This affects the cost of everything...not just a car...because it takes more of those dollars to buy the same item.

A car is a depreciating asset. Its value will always go down. It will not yield a profitable return regardless of its status being paid-in-full or financed. You will always lose money on it.

If you don't want to tie your money up in an asset like this, or if you just want it now, the more sensible option would be to lease the car. You only pay for the current value of the asset plus interest over the course of the contract. You simply pay for what you use and move on. Leases are more appealing to some because the rates are considerably lower than the traditional auto-loan.

I chose to pay in full because I actually wanted to own this car and I did not want two other things to happen: 1) money thrown away on interest which literally saves me $4,500 over the course of 60 months (nobody was offering 0% financing on Z's at the time and I doubt they are today), and 2) a car payment lingering over my head every month.
dAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote