View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
NXTAZEE
Track Member

Drives: 2010 370Z 7AT
NXTAZEE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
The scratches are not on top. They are under the clear coat. Cotton, good cotton doesn't scratch. I went to the dealership and looked at another Black car. Same thing. I'm using Mother's wax or McGuaiers(sic). One of the dealership techies saw the scratches first before I did anything to the car such as wax it. They are not visible on a sunny day. Car looks great in daylight. I also worked in a body shop for a few years and am not green behind the ears. I am not washing the car every day. The old Corvettes had the same problem but for a different reason. I think ZZSPORTZZ has the same understanding.
Until you try to properly polish a small section to see if the marring disappears , you can not rule out surface marring. "Every" new vehicle that rolls off the lot has some degree of marring from dealer prep. I'm even more certain it is surface marring after you said you saw another new car on the lot with the same marring. It doesn't matter if it's a BMW dealership or a Kia dealership, inexperienced people with time constraints only adds up to a bad result.

Hey, if you are happy using cotton rags and they give you acceptable results then thats great. I find the only cotton that performs to an acceptable level for me is Jersey knit, but it has almost no absorption properties. Soft black paint that has been jeweled to perfection will be marred by every cloth besides a quality microfiber. Close inspection under intense lighting is how I evaluate my work, and microfiber is the only one that performs to an acceptable level for me.

Please keep us up to date on your paint issue. I am very interested in the cause of this.
2010 Carbon Silver 370Z 7AT charcoal int. sports package | Clear Bra | Invidia Gemini CBE | CF B-Pillars | CF Fangs | CF Z emblems | Swift Springs | 20mm & 25mm Spacers | SPC Camber Arms | Brushed Aluminum shift knob
NXTAZEE is offline   Reply With Quote