Thread: Battery Tender
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
SoCal 370Z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Answers
SoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond reputeSoCal 370Z has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
In contemplation of an extended absence from home, I'm looking to buy a battery tender.
Questions:
1. One site states,"Optional cigarette plug allows you to charge & maintain your battery directly from your vehicle's lighter socket (only use if socket energized with key off)" Does that work okay for our 370Z in the 12v outlet?
This does work, BUT neither of the two (the one under the passenger’s side, or the armrest under the tray) interior outlets are powered when the 370Z is off. Also, using an interior outlet means you will be running a cord over the door weather stripping, and you really want your charger where it will disconnect at the pigtail if you inadvertently kick it. Running it between the door and sill means if you kick it, the charger will become a projectile tethered between the door and can potentially whip into your 370Z. I have my pigtail connected directly to the battery, and simply remove the cover to access it. However, I am looking for a better way to plug-in the charger on the 370Z that will not entail opening the hood.

Quote:
2. Are these tenders safe to leave on when no one will be home for 3 or 4 months? Any problem with a power surge following a temporary power outage?
I’ve had them plugged-in for literally years at a time. Had one battery last ten years on one.

Quote:
3. Is there a make or model tender that is made for or best for our cars?
Deltran Battery Tender Plus model works well, and have two of them. Nowadays, I would opt for the CTEK Multi US 7002.