Thread: oil, Zmax
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
IDZRVIT
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 CTS-V, '76 Vette
IDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Uh.... it wasn't the oil filter causing the problem. It was the air filters. And the problem WAS quite serious. The carbon detected was 42 times the acceptable level.

You also ask "how long would the engine have lasted if it had gone undetected"? Well, not as long without needing some kind of internal repair for damage caused by the excessive dirt. If you want a figure...... let's say under 50,000 kilometers (a guess).

Again, I think it shows the benifits of oil analysis testing. It may cost some money ($19.95), but it saves money, time, and heartache.
Too bad you didn't replace the air filter with another K&N to know with greater certainty that they are a crappy filter. I don't think they are and still feel yours was defective.

I understand what you're saying but understand why I mentioned your oil filter. Was not the carbon detected in the oil? Then it was passing through to the oil and then into the oil filter, no? How much carbon was the oil filter trapping or were the particles so small they just passed through the oil filter and recirculated continually being held in suspension in the oil? Now do you see why I mentioned the oil filter? I'm not trying to win any argument but I'm saying there is more to the numbers than just saying it was 42 times higher and that equates to catastrophic failure. I know you didn't say that but some in here would believe that. But a 100 times higher could still be acceptable if the particles were drained out at the next change and the next change and so on (constant flushing out of the contaminants) and still not cause damage for say, 50000 as you suggest or maybe even 100,000. Neither one of us knows the answer and as you said can only guess. You were lucky you could flush your problem away. Internal wear is a different ballgame.
IDZRVIT is offline   Reply With Quote