View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #223 (permalink)
Push370zzz
Track Member

Drives: cars
Push370zzz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLM View Post
I'm not going to argue with you man. If you think price is what determines a pure sports car that's fine. Anyone taking any car on a track that doesn't come standard with drilled/slotted rotors is still going to upgrade the lines, fluids, and cooling system. And even still, with pads, stainless lines, and an oil cooler, you're tacking a grand total of $1000 onto the price of the car. Why didn't Nissan add an OEM oil cooler to the Z? I really don't know. All I do know is that I bought my car from the largest volume Nissan dealer in PA and even they had trouble locating a hard-top, manual model for me. Why? Because they were getting flooded with people (lots of women) looking for automatic convertible models, and that's what the factory was pumping out. I have yet to see a female in a 370Z, but that's what they were telling me. So if you're never pushing the car and just using it as a cheap roadster, you can get away without an oil cooler. Why the Nismo didn't have one, that I can't explain at all. It should have at least been available as a dealer option.

I do agree that all the cars you mentioned are pure sports cars. But I also think this has taken such a ridiculous turn in terms of semantics. The 370Z is a sports car. The Lotus elise is certainly more "pure" in the sense that it is stripped down and has no real interior. So is the GT2/GT3/RS models.

Oh and Red Zed...you say the s2k is more of a pure sports car? Why would anyone build a "sports car" with the only model being a convertible. You're automatically weaking the chassis by doing that, and if you choose to add chassis re-inforcement under the car, you're adding weight. So, just because the s2k is small, light, and makes 120 hp/liter, I would contest that the fact it is only offered as a convertible kind of kills it as a pure sports car.

Cars like the Porsche 918 and Audi R8 spyder's have extra chassis re-inforcement but it adds weight. They can obviously make up for the power:weight ratio by offering well over 500 bhp. And if a pure sports car belongs on a track, why then would it be a convertible (more drag, less chassis rigidity, less safety). Of course adding a roll cage makes this a moot point, but last time I checked the s2k doesn't come with a cage as a factory option. And the aforementioned supercar sypders were actually designed in wind tunnels to incorporate the structure into the aerodynamics. I just don't know who would want to have the wind whipping around them going 140 mph.
The point is, the 370z is just a budget sports car. You called it a "pure sports car in every sense of the word", to which we were just pointing out that it's not in any way a pure sports car. Nissan had a chance to make the Nismo a real track/sports car, but instead added a marginal power increase, barely stiffer suspension, and a weird body kit. That says to me that Nissan really is just catering to the masses (namely women, just like the 1 series ) with the 370 and the looks of the car are the most important part. I love the looks of the 370 and it has a real presence on the road, but Nissan clearly doesn't feel that it is a car that is supposed to be on the racetrack (if at all) more than the street.