View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Whitey#1
Base Member

Drives: 09 MB/Frost 370Z AT
Whitey#1 is on a distinguished road
Default Sticker Price On Porsche & Failure To Listen

Well, i drove down to Evansville today to check on the Porsche Cayman. The salesman told me he thought he had found one for me. So, heres what happened. Needless to say i am a little ticked off.

1) He shows me the printout of what this Cayman has, and its an automatic transmission. i immediately gave him back the printout and told him i didnt want an automatic, i wanted the manual. initially i had told him either one but i later changed my mind to manual after the test drive. i had told him on the phone last friday night i wanted a manual. so, read #2 now.

2) We had emailed on Friday afternoon, thats when he told me he had found something. I asked him if it was manual or automatic in an email. no response. 2-3 hours later, after no response, i emailed him and asked him again. still no response. If i would have known it was an automatic i wouldnt have had to waste a trip to Evansville.

3) He tells me there are no more Aqua Blue Cayman cars available, thats it. I tell him i've found others, and i direct them towards a dealer in Connecticut and they found the one i was talking about. Good thing i did their job for them since apparently their Locator isnt that reliable.

4) The one in CT was $59,300 on the sticker, and they said they would figure me up a deal if i could stick around. I tell them not a problem. The salesman came back with this offer:

Sticker - $59,300
Sale Price - $59,300
Trade In - $24,400
Difference - $34,900

5) I just shook my head and reminded him that i had repeatedly - REPEATEDLY - told him the only way i could afford this was to get a steal of a deal. He asked me what i meant by "Steal of a Deal" and i told him i sure as heck didnt mean sticker price. the Louisville dealership had just sold a Cayman two weeks ago by knocking $11,000 off the sticker. I told him i didnt expect $11,000 off the sticker but no way was i paying sticker price.

6) The trade in price was also low. Its at least $1,000 less than what the various books say its trade in value is.

7) He then asks me what i would consider and i tell him we are soooooo far apart that we are just wasting our time. I tell him he's at least $5,000 from where i would even consider it. He wants to know if i will buy it for $29,900 and i tell him to check with his boss and see if he'll take that offer. He says he cant go to his boss unless he has a firm price, so the boss can say yes or no.

8) At this point i just stood up, told him i'd email him monday and let him know about the $29,900 figure, and i walked away. he muttered "okay" and that was that.

Thoughts?

Mike
Whitey#1 is offline   Reply With Quote