View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
axeman71
Base Member

Drives: '10 Conv A7 Blk Chry
axeman71 will become famous soon enoughaxeman71 will become famous soon enough
Default Ripping CD-R or CD-RW Disks to the HD

I generally use my iPod for music in my '10 with Nav. My music collection is large and it can be hard to navigate to a particular artist or album. So I decided that when I get a new CD I would rip it to the internal HD in the nav unit. Since I tend to listen to new CDs more than old ones it would make getting to the new ones easier.

It works great with store bought CDs but if I download an album from Amazon, burn it to a CD and try to rip that CD it generally has trouble ripping the songs. Looking at the manual it seems the CD drive doesn't support CD-R and CD-RW disks.

I have managed to get it to work on an intermittent basis. I have found that when I burn the CD if I burn it at the slowest possible speed (4x in my case) I have a better chance of having the car read the disk. Anybody else run into this? Do you have any tips to make the ripping more reliable? Perhaps a certain brand of blank CDs or a particular CD burner?