View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
SpawnAeroJohn
NOT A CURRENT VENDOR

Drives: you
SpawnAeroJohn will become famous soon enough

Day 3!

So far we got allot done. Not as much as we wanted to because a shipment of materials did not come in until 5PM. But we got some parts ready for molding tomorrow. Its 9PM and I’m going to go back out after this and do some more work.

We started the day by removing the hood and throwing the parts outside so we can have all the room in the world to strip them to start the molds.

Oh look! Here is me building the lip for the hood. The hood is the first one we want to do so that I can pull a replica out, modify it, and create a mold of that.

After the lip we put it back outside and sealed all the seams with Elmer’s glue. This makes sure that all the gaps are filled between teh tape and the hood so no materials run behind it and lock the part into the mold.

We taped and lipped the roof. And here I am waxing it.

He is waxing the bumper license backing plate so we can reproduce those in carbon fiber. We used news paper because our paper rolls weren’t going to come in until tomorrow.

Time for a ramen noodles brake and then after that spraying the parts down with PVA.
PVA is a material that comes in a liquid form, and once you brush, spray, wipe it on it builds up and turns into a saran wrap plastic material. This creates a great barrier so that the materials never actually touch the hood.

Here I am spraying it onto the hood (5th coat) Yes the car is poorly covered but this stuff dissolves with regular water. I’ve done this dozens of times in the past. This stuff will not harm anything and washes off instantly. You can dip a ball of this in water and it will melt in a second. Just FYI so nobody gets scared. P.S Yes the windows are closed and we will be cleaning the car as soon as the molds are parted just to be safe.

Me doing the hood.

Hood, bumper, and the roof complete with 6 thick coates.

And this shows how much we can do in such a tiny space.

More pictures coming tomorrow! Tomorrow we plan to finish at least 4 molds or more. Then start more molds. The next day while we are finishing those molds, these 4 will be ready to pull.
SpawnAeroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote