View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #678 (permalink)
ricer333
Base Member

Drives: 01 Ford Taurus SES
ricer333 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
That's a BIG negative and to be honest I'm sick of people telling me I'm driving illegally because my temps are high. Either you haven't read this whole thread or you're ignoring everyone who posts who says they have high oil temps without pushing their car.

My Z sits at 220 as a BASE oil temp. Doing anything more than 6th gear cruising (5th gear cruising for example) will cause temps to hit 240+ in very short order. This is just cruising on the freeway. Forget any kind of sporty driving.
Hey guys, something here has crossed my mind, especially with the previous post that is quoted above. And before I ask this question, believe me, I have kept up with this thread very closely.

So here it is, has anyone tested the accuracy of the Oil temp Gauge in the car? It seems that this gauge could be off and reporting higher temps for some and lower temps for others. The reason I ask is primarily due to people having high temps at startup, high temps when driving yet not getting the 'limp mode' and other various reasons.

If the gauge was off then it could be reporting higher temps than actual. I guess the only real way would be to run the spirited test driving, noting the Oil gauge temp, and then draining the oil (or some other way to thermo gauge the temp).

What do you all think about this? Not being a huge car expert, it just seems questionable that with all the same mechanical parts, the one thing that could be off would be the gauges.

~Matt