View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
freaky370Z
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370Z GunM M6
freaky370Z is on a distinguished road
Default How to pay LESS THAN INVOICE pricing!

FYI:

It is a buyers market. Keep that in mind.

This is just my opinion and it may not work for everyone. Though, I don't see why not.

I only paid $27,999 (**they actually listed it as $27,699 on the contract and the rest in dealer fees. This might be the magic number) for my Base Model 2011 370Z with illuminated kick plates, carpets, and I got a free gas for the Z (obviously) and my Camry that I drove to pick up the car (a full tank due to the drive). Everything was $30,500 Out the Door after taxes and fees. And to be honest, I could have probably gotten $30,000 OTD if I wasn't as impatient as I was. I want everyone to get the best deal, so here is how I did it:

First, I found the car I wanted (obviously the 370Z) with the exact color etc.

Then, I emailed 15-20 dealers (also using edmunds.com and other sites to send contact emails). The dealers you contact do not have to be in your area, contact every dealer you are willing to deal with (you know how dealers are... once they know you are interested, they call and call and call). Let them know you are interested in buying the 370Z for the best price they can offer you. Tell them to give their best price off the bat because thats who is going to sell you a new car.

Every dealer I emailed, I let them know that I have already test driven the car, know exactly what I want, and I am ready to buy. I let them know that the dealer that would win my business would be the dealer that gave me the best price Out the Door (not the best monthly price, thats a BS dealer trick). I also let them know I wasn't trading in a car and I was probably buying the car with cash. Even if you are doing either of those things, they don't need to know that until you have agreed upon a price. Then you work out the financing and trade-in.

Then I waited for responses. I recommend emailing towards the end of the month with about a week or two to spare. Dealers are looking to get their numbers up, so you give them a taste and get them to start bidding on you. It is a buyers market and you have the control. They get you to buy too high because they know you are anxious to drive that sweet ride off their lot. Let them know you are NOT in a hurry to buy and you will only be stepping your foot in their dealership when you have found the best price. You will probably end up getting your best deal negotiated towards the last day of the month. This is because dealerships have to meet a quota etc and they also get incentives for how many cars they sell etc etc. USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!

Let them bid back and forth. You will get dealers that give you a ridiculously high price. Let them know you aren't joking around and that you received way better offers, and let them know what they are. Start using the lowest price over and over till you hit your magic number (what you are willing to pay).
For Example: "I received a price from Mike Erdman Nissan of $28,999 and $31,999 out the door. What can you do to beat that?"

**The dealers will try calling you over and over. Make sure you have a pen and paper ready, because most of the dealers that quote you lower numbers will not want to email you in writing. They know you will take that number to another dealer and get a lower quote. Write down the dealerships name, salesman you spoke with, and prices. My advice is to ALWAYS get everything in writing. I had many dealers ask for proof because "they are losing money if they sell it for that price." Never fall for that trick as a salesman will never sell a car they lose on. I told them I preferred contact through email, but most try and get you on the phone and work their sales tricks.

***Always get the price of the car and more importantly the Out the Door price, as dealers will quote you a low price and tag on dealer fees and other total nonsense.

**** And dont forget to negotiate the other things that you may want, like illuminated kick plates, free gas for driving there. Use your sales skills to work in your favor. And by letting them know another dealer could give you all you wanted and they need to beat that, if they can they will!

Pretty much all you have to do is go back and forth with all the dealers letting them know the awesome deals and incentives a previous dealer offered you. Give them specifics and let them know you are strictly looking for the best price. STAND YOUR GROUND! These dealers are not going to be happy that your a smart buyer. They will make you feel like you are being difficult. They will try all kinds of tricks to get you to accept an offer; don't do it until you are truly satisfied with the price. Don't get anxious, there are plenty of the type and color of car you want out there. Even if it takes time, you will find it for the right price. Your goal should be below invoice pricing. If I can do it, I don't see why anyone else cannot (this was my first new car purchase). It does take a lot more time and effort, but for a $1000 or more, it is worth your time.

Finally, when you find the dealer that gives you the BEST price for the car, and the best OUT THE DOOR price. Get it in writing. They will most likely try to avoid putting it in writing, but let them know you are NOT heading to their dealership until you have everything in writing. Tell him he has a deal and start negotiate financing etc. Once you have that negotiated, get them to pre-approve you before you go to the dealership. That way you can find the best financing possible.

Then head to the dealership and check your new car out. Ensure its everything you hoped for with no damage etc. (shouldn't be an issue) and seal the deal. I recommended not to take the BS they try and offer you, but thats just my opinion. I just took the car for everything we agreed on (and boy did it piss off the finance person that was trying to make more money off of me).

Just hold your ground and put the dealerships against each other. Your work will pay off.

Please ask any questions as I might have left something out. +rep if you like this or it helped.

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (3).jpg (600.0 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by freaky370Z; 03-30-2011 at 06:46 PM.
freaky370Z is offline   Reply With Quote