View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
SpawnAeroJohn
NOT A CURRENT VENDOR

Drives: you
SpawnAeroJohn will become famous soon enough

Take it from me. If you are goign to buff your car you better be sure you damn well know how to otherwise one wrong move can cost you hundreds to repair.

I suggest doing it yourself but practice because most detail shops will be covered somesort so if they rewin your car they arent liable. They can use any of teh below excuses.

The paint was real bad
The surface was so scratched it made it difficult to repair
The paint was not applied right
The paint was too thin
ETC and I know this because Ive had those problems in the past before I started.

So if you guys want to do a great job go to a website called adams polishes or something like that. Pick up some micro fiber towels, rubbing compound, polishing compound, finishing glaze, and a porter cable buffer. (spell check on the porter cable buffer)

The porter cable buffer does not rotate, it oscilates. So its the ideal buffer for beginners and experts. I love it, I dont own it but I have used it dozens of times in teh past. Its very hard to ruin a paint job with that since it does not rotate. If it does not rotate it makes it easier to not snag the corner of the paint job.

At that website there will be video tutorials on how to use it. I suggest practicing on a family members car first :P

I still need to post a DIY on polishing.

P.S Buffing is not bad if you do it a few times a year or when you really need to. Buffing does remove clear coat but it removes the clear coat by thousands of a cm at a time so if you are experianced then you are safe.

Polishing a car with swirl mark remover is much safer (3M swirl mark remover).
SpawnAeroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote