View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #43 (permalink)
6SPD_FTW
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z Bl 6MT
6SPD_FTW is on a distinguished road

As far as low-end torque is concerned, I came from a 2007 Altima 3.5SE 6MT. Now, as far as low-end torque from a V6...AMAZING!! The VQ35DE was absolutely fantastic in low-rpms! Had a VERY smooth/flat torque curve!! I loved it! I could EASILY shift gears without EVER getting over 1500rpms and still had plenty enough power to accelerate and keep up with traffic. It is a fantastic drivetrain.

THEN, I hopped into the Z and thought "what crap from a 3.7L V6". BUT, after I've broken it in fully, this engine has damn decent low-end torque! I can still shift through the gears @ 1500rpm and have plenty of power to accelerate! I think the amazing top-end kind of overshadows the low-end on the VQ37HR. It's just the peaky powerband on this engine that makes you think that the VQ37HR has no low-end, but it really does!! LOL.

Either way, I have the clunk in the transmission and I hear it ALL the time on the 1-2, 2-3, and sometimes the 3-4 shift! But I like it! Sounds aggressive, I think! Although....I also have the notorious 6th gear grind. The 6th gear syncro is just GONE! Even shifting from 5-6, I get crunching when shifting normally. So, I developed that little problem @ around 5000 mi, and now have 7000. It will be going back to the dealer, but if I shift slowly into 6th, it is fine. So, I've just been living with it til now. Add another to the BAD 6th gear synchro thread! LOL.

Late,
Trav
6SPD_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote