View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
9Zs_Ed
Base Member

Drives: 10 Rdstr Trng Spt 6M
9Zs_Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo! View Post
This one intrigued me the most -- is this what it looked like?

Beautiful car!
Yep, that was it, 1979 GL, Black w/ Gold trim (that was listed as an option).

Quick story. Those wheels were covered with a plastic protectant which began to crack and fall off over time (about a year), for lots of cars, not just mine. Datsun (at that time) issued a TSB that told the service departments how to remove the old and put on a new coating.

After mine was done, my car developed a front-end shimmy. There were quite a few trips back (and re-balancing) to find the cause of this and finally, the service manager asked the lot boy who had taken the wheels off my car and put them back on how he did it. During that conversation, the lot boy said, "Do you mean you need replace the wheels on the same side of the car they were taken from?" (radial tires were like that then). The service manager and I turned and stared at each other (he looked pained), and after a few seconds of silence, I said, "Looks like you owe me a new set of tires." He grumbled, "I guess you're right".

So I got a set of Goodrich Radial T/A's, which made the original OEM Bridgestones feel like they were square.
9Zs_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote