View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Junkman2008
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Junkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond reputeJunkman2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian370z View Post
Anyone can achieve those results.
If that was the case, why are there detailers making money off people who can't?

Quote:
It takes practice and experience, but it is much easier than people may be led to believe. Also, you can attain similar, if not the same results with quality over the counter products such as Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Swirl X or sealants such as Duragloss 105 and 111. Any good product can produce spectacular results if used properly, it is not a factor of over the counter vs. boutique products in most cases.
So there are some cases where over the counter products can't hold a candle to certain boutique products? I agree with that too. I would like to see you use some over the counter products to tackle some of the stuff that I linked too in my intro thread.

Quote:
Also, just because something is made in China does not mean it is of lower quality.
We're not talking about "something", we're talking specifically about detailing products. Nane one detailing product that is made in China, that is superior to any of the made in America products that I use. Name one!

Pretty much every "made in China" thing that I pick up is cheap in quality and performance. It is made there for a reason. Cheap labor and poor quality control. You get what you pay for when dealing China made goods.

Quote:
There are many Chinese made products that are of higher quality than US made products, and vice versa. I do agree 100% that knowing how to maintain a fully corrected paint finish is as important if not more important than knowing how to polish.

I polished my Saab's paint with Swirl-X, a black LC pad and a PC. Are these results inferior versus my Menzerna po85rd which is my go to finishing polish? No, I think the results speak for themselves. Process: Swirl-X, LC pads, PC, and was given an isopropyl alcohol wipe down. No wax or sealant is on the car: sun shots don't lie, you can achieve perfect results with over the counter products.
You can achieve perfect results with a few over the counter products depending on the severity of the damage. If things were as you state it, body shops would not bother spending the money they do on the quality products they use. They would do their shopping at Wally World. So why don't they?

They know that for the most part, you get what you pay for.